Monday, March 7, 2011

We're Fishtailing It!

Hair and Makeup Monday:


Today I decided to write a post featuring a fun new hairstyle (it may not be new, but it's new to me).
 Many times I get stuck in a rut with my hair, so I was set on finding a fresh new style. Allure.com has some really great ideas! I went through a list of new hair ideas for 2011, and found one that really caught my eye.


I have been seeing this hairstyle on t.v., and in magazines, but never really thought I could pull it off on my own hair. Well, I tried it for y'all, and you can be the judge of the outcome.

The Fishtail Braid



This is my inspiration. Let's just get this out there: I will
be doing the cute version of this pic. The sexy version is
not happening :)

 
According to Allure, a fishtail is a more interesting version of a side braid. (oohh....ahhhh)
Steps to creating the fishtail braid:
1. Seperate hair into two sections instead of three.



2.  Pull a few strands from the outside of one section and weave it over to the underside of the second section

 
3. Repeat the same motion from the opposite side





4. Keep alternating until you reach the end, then secure with an elastic. (Wish I had a clear elastic band, but had to go with what I had).



5. To dress up the style, wrap a scarf around your head like a headband and tie it in a messy knot or bow.
It took me approximately 3 trys before getting the braid to the tightness that I wanted. It helped to wrap a section and pull it upwards to tighten the braid. I also had to remind myself that it looks just as cute with a few strands poking out. It is a side braid, so messy is okay.
Overall I really like the look of this braid. I definitely don't have time to do this every morning, but may try it if I wake up with a little bit of extra time. This style also works for a relaxed night out.

No comments: