Sunday, January 16, 2011
20 Tips for A positive New Year by Jon Gordon
1. Stay Positive. You can listen to the cynics and doubters and believe that success is impossible or you can know that with faith and an optimistic attitude all things are possible.
2. When you wake up in the morning complete the following statement: My purpose is _______________
(I'm still working on figuring out exactly what I am going to fill that with)
3. Take a morning walk of gratitude. I call it a "thank you walk." It will create a fertile mind ready for success.
(Not sure I will have time for this every day, but may try to do it on the weekends when Coach is home)
4. Instead of being disappointed about where you are, think optimistically about where you are going.
5. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a college kid with a maxed out charge card.
(or in my case queen, and princess :)
6. Remember that adversity is not a dead-end but a detour to a better outcome.
(I really like this quote. Wish I was one of those people who could memorize quotes and use them at the perfect moment. I usually end up saying, Oh that stinks, it will all be okay. )
7. Focus on learning, loving, growing, and serving.
(Definitely important for coach's wives)
8. Believe that everything happens for a reason and expect good things to come out of challenging experiences.
9. Don't waste precious energy on gossip, energy vampires, issues of the past, negative thoughts or things you cannot control. Instead invest your energy in the positive present moment.
10. Mentor someone and be mentored by someone.
11. Live with the 3 E's. Energy, Enthusiasm, Empathy.
12. Remember there is no substitute for hard work.
(We women already know that)
13. Zoom focus. Each day when you wake up in the morning ask: "What are the three most important things I need to do today that will help me create the success I desire?" Then tune out all the distractions and focus on these actions.
14. Implement the http://www.nocomplainingrule.com/ . Complaining is like vomiting. Afterwards you feel better but everyone around you feels sick.
(Love this one!)
15. Read more books than you did in 2010. I happen to know a few good ones. :)
16. Get more sleep. You can't replace sleep with a double latte.
(I am definitely a coffee addict. Maybe I can have both)
17. Focus on "Get to" vs. "Have to." Each day focus on what you get to do, not what you have to do. Life is a gift not an obligation.
18. Each night before you go to bed complete the following statements:
I am thankful for ________________.
Today I accomplished _________________.
20. Enjoy the ride. You only have one ride through life so make the most of it and enjoy it.