Saturday, February 5, 2011

Ice Cream For Breakfast?

Yesterday it snowed here, and it's already almost all gone today. That's the way I like snow, here today, gone tomorrow. It was a very light snow, but for the south, this was a blizzard. Everyone got out of school, and the boy across the street was shoveling the snow out of his driveway with a real shovel. I awoke to the horrible scraping sound. It was an interesting sight.


My two oldest monkeys woke up bright and shiny (of course) and immediately wanted to go out to play in this white delight (mmm....that sounds like a name for ice-cream, maybe that's what I will name my snow ice-cream!).

I bundled them up Missouri style! To me that means so many layers on that you can't feel your arms and legs anymore, and plastic bags over your hands and feet to make sure the water doesn't seep through your clothes. We don't really invest in heavy gloves or boots, because you only get the chance to use them every 5 years or so.

Poor Baby Gray watched from the window because he has been sick. I felt so bad for him. At one point I hopped outside with the girls and threw snowballs at the window. He thought that was hilarious. One of my favorite things about babies is that anything you do is super funny. I get him laughing so hard that he can barely breathe, and I start feeling like I'm the next Lucille Ball. Then I look over at Stinkerbelle who is giving me one of those looks like" Really Mom, Reallly?" and I realize that I better enjoy my short time of being the funniest woman in the world.

Anyway, after everyone got tired of playing, I headed out and collected some untrampled snow to make snow ice cream. I have some fun memories of going to my grandma's house and having her fix this for me. In my mind, it was the best thing I had ever tasted, so I decided to make my own and it was pretty good too :)
Yes I was using a strainer to scoop it up, don't really know why,
it's just what I grabbed (worked pretty well though)

Homemade White Delight  (Snow Ice-Cream)
Ingredients:
Vanilla
White Granulated Sugar
Milk (you can also use condensed sweetened milk but plain whole milk worked just fine for us)


Directions:

First get a gallon of snow






Add 1 cup of sugar to the snow

I let Stinkerbelle poor the sugar
Pay no attention to Mini-Me's fingerprints in the sugar





















Add 1-2 tablespoons of vanilla (I added 2 because I wanted it to be very flavorful)

 




















Mix together,








and while mixing this, you add 1 to 2 cups of milk.

You can always tell it's winter when there is a big pile of
coats in the background :)


The snow we had was very dry, so I added 1 and 1/2 cups of milk.


Pretty simple! Spoon it up, and enjoy!



The kiddos were having it for breakfast (healthy huh?) so they thought it would be fun to add some cereal. I was not brave enough to try it, but they really liked it!!



No comments: